Roast duck with apple in red wine sauce
Sült kacsa almával bormártásban60 mins 60 mins
The way Hungarians eat the duck is totally different from what Western European do. It's not pink or medium rare but soft, juicy and rich meat. The skin is as salty and crispy that you can not even wait for the meal to be served but you have to break a small pieces off. The smoky flavour of the shallots is brilliantly compensated by the sweet apple.
- 4 duck leg
- 2 duck breast
- 200 ml milk
- 1 whole garlic, pealed
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 4 apple
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves
- 5 medium size potato
- 3 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
For the red-wine sauce
- 200 ml quality red wine
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- salt, pepper
- On the skin of the ducks make some incisions 1 cm apart then put into a bowl. Cover them with milk and add the peeled garlic. Rest them in the fridge for at least 6 hours then transfer the meat into a medium size saucer pan. Add 200 ml water and boil them for an hour on low temperate. Do not add any salt or pepper at this stage.
- Whilst boil the potato in salty water, let it cool down a bit then peel of the skin. Heat up 2 tablespoon olive oil, add the shallots and roast until become golden brown. Slice the potato into the pan, season with salt and pepper and cook it for 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Preheat the oven 210 C. Put the apples and the cloves into a small baking tray, pour 1 inch high water to them and put into the oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes spread half a spoon of honey to each apple and roast for 5 more minutes in the oven.
- Whilst transfer the ducks into a roasting tray season them with salt, pepper and marjoram well. Pour a little bit of the duck stock over, sprinkle the skin with some olive oil and roast them in the oven for 20-30 minutes, till the skin become crispy.
- For the red wine sauce melt some butter, add the cornflour and stir it over the hob for 2-3 minutes than little by little add the wine and the stock while you whisking rapidly. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper, cinnamon add the bay leaf and boil gently for 5 minutes till thickens up. Stir occasionally.
- Serve the duck with the apple and potato, pour over the wine sauce and enjoy this heartwarming dish.